Make Your Own Rock Tabletop Fountain
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Tabletop Fountains and other Fountains topics.
How do I make my own rock tabletop fountain?
With the high cost of some tabletop fountains, you might consider making your own. Some of the better quality tabletop fountains can be upwards of $200 a piece, so if you're feeling creative, we've got a how-to guide for you. Read on to find out how to make a rock tabletop fountain.
What you'll need:
- Small pump
- 2” thick piece of 12”x14” Styrofoam
- Baking pan
- Construction glue
- Plastic tubing
- Exterior stucco
- 3 colors of paint – burnt umber, raw sienna, and green glazes
- Exterior spray varnish
- Sheet moss
- Felt tabs
- Beach glass
What you need to do:
- Cut an off-center hole in the Styrofoam to accommodate the pan.
- Glue Styrofoam onto the pan.
- Carve the edge of the Styrofoam into rough rock shapes.
- Cover base with exterior stucco and let dry.
- Glue felt tabs onto base.
- Cut two small rock shapes onto remaining Styrofoam, cover with stucco and allow to dry.
- Use paints to create stone appearance.
- Poke a hole through the two rocks to accommodate tubing.
- Push tubing into place, making sure the top hole angles toward the bowl.
- Glue the two rocks together for a layered effect and attach to the base, checking to see that one tubing end goes into the bowl.
- Spray fountain with exterior varnish.
- Use moss to decorate and hide edges.
- Place beach glass into bowl to diffuse the water.
- Place pump into container, attach tubing, fill your rock tabletop fountain with water, and plug it in.