Selecting Fish For Backyard Fountains
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Backyard & Patio Fountains and other Fountains topics.
How do I select fish for my backyard fountain?
Adding fish to backyard fountains make your water feature all the more enticing. The constant motion of shimmering scales adds visual interest to any water feature. If you're not sure how to deal with fish in your fountain, here are some guidelines.
- If you're deciding between koi or goldfish, remember that koi are larger and more striking. However, they're also much more expensive and harder to maintain. Goldfish are relatively affordable and require basic care.
- A good rule of thumb is to have one fish for every square foot of your fountain.
- To make sure your fish transition nicely into your pond, help them adjust by allowing them to sit for 20 to 30 minutes in their own bag before releasing them into the fountain water.
- Backyard fountains need to be clean for your fish. Get a hand held skimmer to get out debris.
- Keep the pump running in your fountain. Not only does it make the pond more attractive, it puts more oxygen into the fountain and wards off mosquito eggs.
Nobody has commented on this tip yet. Be the first.