Basic Maintenance For Larger Water Features
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Backyard & Patio Fountains and other Fountains topics.
How do I maintain a larger water feature like a pond?
Maintaining larger water features is probably easier than you think – especially if you use an all-natural methodology to your routine.
- Use a skimmer basket to draw out leaves once a week. All you have to do is rinse out the filter of the skimmer basket every time you clean.
- Once a week, backwash the pump and filter with about 100 gallons of nutrient rich water. Allow it to discharge onto your grass if possible.
- Inoculate the water with bacteria after you backwash. The process keeps your water in top condition.
- Once or twice a year, rinse the water filter box out to rid it of dirt and debris.
- Use pond salt or barley to control algae in your pond.
Nobody has commented on this tip yet. Be the first.